Print E-mail

All those sending cps renewal notices are to send them to our PO Box 220 Chelsea address.

Only 5 persons, the President, the Vice President, the Secretary, the Treasurer and the CPS Officer can sign Initial Applications or Renewals. These persons are henceforth known as "Authorised CPS Signatories"

A list of Authorised CPS Signatories is posted on the Committee and Officers page.


Vic Roads Club Permit Scheme for classic motorcycles

Updated 20th Aug 2017.

Hello all,

On approx. 1993 VicRoads brought in the Club Permit Scheme with usage limitations and a Special Use Form for other times.

On 1st Feb 2011 Vic Roads finally brought in the use of a logbook for the club Permit Scheme.

On 1st Feb 2015 VicRoads dramatically changed the requirements of the scheme, now requiring a RWC.

All Permit Scheme members should adhere to the following new requirements.
These include:


Initial testing for first time
Initial report for new permit members will now have to be a full RWC plus a signature by a club scrutineer using the

Vicroads VESD (Vehicle Eligibility and Standards Declaration) form

Also we now ask that 6 digital photos be taken of each bike tested to ensure that no modifications are made after the test. No application will be processed until all photographs are received.

Form EF1 is to be filled out.


Then the completed collection is to be presented to one of the Authorised CPS Signatories. 

There will be no deviation from this requirement for new scheme participants.


From VicRoads website:-

New requirements commencing 31 January 2015:

  •  When signing new club permit applications, club safety officers/scrutineers will be required to complete a Vehicle Eligibility and Standards Declaration form declaring that the vehicle is eligible, safe for use on the road and that it meets the applicable requirements for the category of vehicle for which the club permit is sought. 
  • Initial club permit applications (not renewals) for vehicles manufactured after 31 December 1948 will need to be accompanied by a current certificate of roadworthiness.
  •  Initial club permit applications (not renewals) will need to be accompanied with a document of proof of ownership or management of the vehicle. This can be provided in the form of an original receipt or contract of sale. The document must show the VIN or chassis number; engine number; name, address and signature of previous owner; name and address of the new owner and date of the transaction. 
  •  For pre-1949 vehicles, clubs will continue to conduct their own safety inspection (which may be a certificate of roadworthiness or a club safety inspection based on VicRoads’ guidelines). 
  •  New modification guidelines specified in the Guidelines for modifications to vehicles operated under Victoria’s Club Permit – Vehicle Standards Information No. 33 (VSI33) [PDF 296 kb] apply.
  • If an initial club permit application is submitted for a vehicle that is modified outside of the appropriate modification guidelines, a Vehicle Assessment Signatory Scheme (VASS) approval certificate covering the modifications must be provided with the permit application. 
  •  An “M” club permit plate will be issued to identify modified vehicles where a VASS certificate has been provided.
  •  Clubs are required to maintain dated photographs of vehicles entering the club permit scheme in accordance with the new Club Permit Agreement.

Existing and ongoing requirements to be noted

There are two important existing, ongoing requirements that permit applicants and club safety officers/scrutineers need to be aware of: 

  •  Motor vehicles manufactured outside of Australia after 31 December 1968 (30 June 1975 in the case of motorcycles) which do not have a previous Australian registration history, must have a VASS approval certificate to demonstrate that the vehicle meets the Australian Design Rules that applied at the time the vehicle was manufactured. 
  •  Club permit vehicles must comply with the Vehicle Standards, appropriate to the date the vehicle was manufactured, contained in Schedule 2 of the Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 2009. 

All vehicle standards and modification guidelines are available through VicRoads’ website at Vehicle standards information

 Should you have a query regarding the new requirements, please contact VicRoads through

This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

From VSI 8 Section 3: VASS Certificates
Note - Any modification not specifically listed as an approved modification in this information sheet will require a VASS Certificate.
From VSI 8 Section 11 : Motorcycles & 3 wheeled vehicles
VSB 14 Modification Code LL
The following modifications do not require certification provided the modifications are carried out in accordance with the sub-section 2 General requirements of Section LL:
  • fitting a manufacturer's optional component such as an engine, transmission, exhaust system or fuel tank for the particular make/model of the vehicle in question together with any associated components
  • conversion of a 2 seat motorcycle to a 1 seater
  • conversion of a modified motorcycle to original seating
  • the fitting, or removal of a sidecar (provided the motorcycle frame is not cut or welded)


Annual renewal
This simply requires the bike being self-assessed by the owner.
There is a form for members renewing   i.e.  CPS Form RF1.
Download and fill in the club CPS RF1 renewal form for our records.
Be a current financial member.

An Authorised CPS Signatory will then sign your VicRoads renewal.

Also note that Vicroads needs a separate notice of change of address for CPS (if required). The normal rego database is not connected to the CPS database.


But wait there’s more
Remember, the final responsibility for the use of the Club Permit Scheme rests with the owner/rider. NOT the club.
However, if the members stuff it up then the club may lose the right to give permits. We don't want to lose that right, do we?
Now that forms are on our website there will be no reason for anyone to not know the procedure.

There have been instances where the police have fined a rider for not having all the paperwork with them when riding. The fine is approx. $600

for riding an unregistered bike plus demerit points. You are now warned.

Note that we can now include cars in out CPS register. Briefly, you must be a member of the club for 5 years and submit an application to 

the committee. Read our Bylaws for more info.


I'm behind the times.............

It appears that we can now use our CPS bikes in WA since about late 2016. Ignore passages about WA permit.

Note: We can use CPS bikes in WA by obtaining a Rally or Invitation permit. This should be applied for at least 14 days before your wanted

trip, preferably 30 days’ notice. Download form below. Permit is for 30 days minimum (1 year max.) which is ample for most trips.

Though unsure I would suggest that you still fill out the logbook, just in case. See chapter below.

Club Permit Scheme Officer
Monarchs Motor Cycle Club Inc.



New participants


When on a Run

#  Join our club. Proof of membership is required.

#  VicRoads Club Permit Registration Form from VicRoads, Publication 88328-01.15

Signed by Authorised CPS Signatories only.

#  Proof of Ownership or Management of vehicle.

# Vehicle Eligilbility and Safety Declaration form 102798 01.15  Signed by scrutineer only.

#  Vehicle Safety Inspection form 10598-01.15 if required (pre 1949)
Signed by scrutineer only.

#  Form EF1 for club records only.

Signed by Authorised CPS Signatories only.

#  If interested you may download and look at testing guidelines:
AOMC publication CPSTEST10.

# RWC for post 1948.    Not mandatory for pre 1949.

#  Owner to provide 6 photos (electronic only) of bike.
1 Front,
2 Back,
3 Left,
4 Right,
5 Speedo,
6 Frame/VIN no.

#  Inform CPS Officer of plate number when received.

#  See form EF1 For a better overview of what’s required. EF1 is kept for club records.

·    Download form RF1.
Complete RF1 and return to an Authorised CPS Signatory along with the Vicroads renewal that you received in the post.

·    The CPS Officer keeps form RF1 for club records.

·    The Authorised CPS Signatory will sign the VicRoads Renewal form and then you may

A) send it to VicRoads. It will come back stamped ready to place sticker in your logbook and place label in holder.
B) go to your nearest VicRoads office. Check that your renewal is properly dated and stamped. The onus is on you for ensuring compliance, not VicRoads.

·    Our membership financial year ends on 30th June each year. You must be financial, the onus is on you.

·    Note that all CPS participants renewing their membership must be financial on 1st July for the following year. No arrears are allowed for these members if they wish to be legal on their CPS plated motorbikes.

Must carry:-

·    A log book with a current label stuck to the inside front cover. This is the paper label from top left of new or renewal VicRoads form. Make sure it is duly stamped. I suggest stapling your receipt to the inside of your logbook.

·    You need to fill out an entry in this log book for each day of use BEFORE you begin your journey, in ink.

·    Driver's Licence

·    Have "rego" label displayed correctly. This is the other label supplied by VicRoads. CPS labels still need to be displayed even though normal registered bikes do not have to display label after 1st Jan 2014.

·    Receipt if you are a new registration with no number plate supplied yet. Otherwise number plate must be fitted. Stories are evolving that the receipt must be carried due to over-zealous police. I suggest stapling your receipt to the inside of your logbook.


·    Club membership card not required. Regulations don't appear to require this. Some police seem to demand proof of club membership; if they do then take note of officer's name and time and place of problem. Report to police later if he doesn't relent..

·    Anyone with a licence can ride a CPS bike with the owner's approval. Vicroads state that the first rider for the day puts his name in the logbook.

·    Failure to abide by the above may result in you getting a fine for an unregistered vehicle and of course you'd have no TAC cover.

Needless to remind you again that you MUST be a current finacial member of the club. MUST BE !!!



The appropriate Vicroads forms:-

VicRoads Club permit application form. (Pub 88328) [pdf 205 kb]

VicRoads Vehicle Eligibility and Standards Declaration (VESD) form (Pub 102798 01.15) [pdf 181 kb].

VicRoads Vehicle safety Inspection Checklist Guidelines (pre 1949) (Pub 10598 01.15) [pdf 551kb]


Plus the appropriate internal Monarchs form:-

EF1 Club Permit Scheme Motorcycle Initial Entry Form (pdf 89kB)

RF1 Club Permit Scheme Motorcycle Renewal Form (pdf 79kB)


Other helpful information:-


Club Scrutineers:-
See Committee and Officers page for list of members able to be a scrutineer and sign the VESD form and scrutineer vehicles.

Show a RWC from an approved VicRoads tester when getting a scrutineer's signature on the VESD form if vehicle is made after 1949.

The scrutineers only job is to verify that the bike is what it should be, verify RWC and sign the VicRoads VESD form.

The scrutineer cannot sign the approval for RF1, EF1 or other Vicroads forms.

Note that our scrutineers are club members with vast experience in motorcycle maintenance. They are doing this on a voluntary

basis. Accept their testing with grace and humility. Their integrity for this task is vital to the continuance of the Club Permit Scheme working without

undue hindrance. Thanks.



VicRoads     Go here to find out all from VicRoads



The use of a bike using a CPS red plate in WA has been unclear for some time until now.

Without following the advice below it is still not to be used in WA; you will be charged with an unregistered bike.

The WA Transport Authority does not mention anything about club schemes but in fact they do provide for vintage and classic bikes by providing

rally or invitation permits for specific rallies and rides, possibly similar to our old system that we had in Victoria.

By application an individual can apply for a rally/invitation permit known as an "Over 48 hour Permit Application" .

Otherwise, a club organising an event or rally can apply for a group of entrants. If a club did this they would create a spreadsheet of entrants with

all their particulars and pay for all the entrants for the prescribed duration. The organisers would then bulk pay the WA Transport Authority.

Presumably the entrants would re-imburse the club or have this as part of the entry fee and application for the event. If going to a WA organised

event ask about this.


However for us, the applying for a single permit is what we want.

Download the following form and read it to understand what information is required.

 WA Permit form.docx (20kB)


At least 2 weeks prior to usage contact the following person in WA Transport

Ron Devenish

Assistant Technical Analyst | Driver and Vehicle Services | Department of Transport

21 Murray Road South, Welshpool WA 6106

Tel: (08) 92163886  Fax: (08) 92163889

Email:  This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it  Web:

Have ready all the information in the permit application form and he should then explain how you should proceed with the application and payment.

I believe they only take Visa or Mastercard for payment. I do not know the amount per month but surely it can't be exhorbitant. (As of July 2014 it

was about $40 for 2 months)

Many of the weights, tares etc aren't applicable but that's ok.



For extra information please contact the Club permit Scheme Officer:
See committee and officers page for contact details





Last Updated on Wednesday, 21 March 2018 14:54